Wednesday 18 January 2012

21st Century Thoughts?


                Well I guess this is a hello again to the blogging world. I have had my first taste of what it takes to be a teacher. After four years of learning about teaching from a book, I was finally able to experience it! Even though it was a whirlwind (as noticed by my complete absence for two months), I met amazing teachers that taught me new things each day and a wonderful group of students that I will always remember. It challenged me each and every day, pushed me to do things I never thought I could do, and showed me that I can reach what I set out to accomplish. Getting the opportunity to be in the classroom, I am itching to get right back in there.

                This short, yet meaningful teaching experience also gave me the chance to envision my own classroom. Combined with 21st century education discussions that have taken place in my teacher education classes, my mind is overflowing with all of the possibilities. Completing a placement in a school with minimal technology, I saw the large gap that exists between those schools that have technology and those that do not. Feeling the constraints of limited technology, my ideal classroom would of course have interactive technological devices available to my students. While this seems like a no-brainer for a 21st century classroom, it’s hard to choose specifics when I know technology is constantly changing. Computers may be beneficial now, but they may be outdated in five years! Regardless of the type of technology, I recognize the uttermost importance of giving students innovative outlets to express their learning.

                My 21st classroom would also encourage students to engage in critical-thinking and collaborative learning activities. I saw first-hand the benefits of students working in groups, and was amazed at what they could accomplish together through hands-on activities and critical questioning. In addition to collaboration, my 21st century classroom would also include experiential learning. Providing students with the chance to learn through a hands-on “experience” they can relate to the content through personal connections. However, in order for these learning opportunities to be successful, an open-minded and accepting environment between students and teachers needs to be created.

Aside from the technological components and a positive accepting learning environment, a 21st century educator has “ideal” expectations as well. Getting involved in team-teaching, community activities and staying current will only increase my success as a teacher in the classroom. There is a lot to look forward to as a 21st century educator, and an even more exciting time to be a 21st century learner. It’s great that I have the chance to expand my knowledge in both of these areas!

What does your ideal 21st century classroom look like?  

2 comments:

  1. You mention the gap between those schools who have access to technology and those who don't. I think one aspect we need to focus on is how we can shrink that gap. In an ideal world, we could develop a way to implement current technology into all schools, but unfortunately the reality is totally different. As educators, I feel we really need to challenge ourselves to find some way to make the students' learning experience as modern and engaging as possible, even if we can't access tech tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Regardless of the type of technology, I recognize the uttermost importance of giving students innovative outlets to express their learning." I agree, innovative opportunities to demonstrate what they have learned is essential to 21st century teaching and learning. Educators need to be cognizant of the fact that they don't have to wait until the tech toys come into the classroom. All educators can be 21st century teachers.

    ReplyDelete