Sunday 16 October 2011

Excitement to Inspiration

  

                Even though this blog entry is a little bit behind current events, I wanted to talk about it nonetheless. Last week at my placement, three classes learning about governmental systems were able to participate in the “Student Vote”. At first I thought that it was going to be similar to my experience with government in elementary school. As students, we were briefly told about the different parties and then expected to take part in a mock election. At the time I seemed confused by everything that was going on and just checked off a box simply based on the candidate’s name. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my placement class on October 6th. The students were excited not only at the fact that they could participate in a school mock election, but that the provincial election was taking place that day, specifically with a polling station in their gymnasium. The students were ecstatic that they were taking part in something that they knew was extremely important. At one point during a math lesson, they got off track and into a competitive debate about which party was going to win. Just a sample of the many remarks I heard:

                “Are we going to see the winner’s on TV when we go home?”
                “Can we find out our class results today?”
                “Will our class results be on CHCH news?”

Posters that were displayed at our school

             It was great! We set up the Student Vote in the gymnasium on the opposite side of the actual polling station. Students came in as a class, received a ballot, went behind a polling screen and voted. We even had official ballot boxes where they could submit their votes! I thought the whole process was amazing and left school feeling exhilarated. Aside from the fact that the students were interested in politics, I think it had more to do with the fact that this was my first experience seeing students excited about learning. It was humorous yet serious, and 100% inspiring to see young students completely immersed in an educational topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment