Monday 12 September 2011

The Next Chapter

                Beginning a new chapter in my educational career as a teacher candidate at Brock University, I thought my first blog should start off as an explanation of why I am writing this today. For as long as I can recall, I have wanted to be a teacher. I cannot pinpoint one exact moment or event where the “light bulb” went off. Deep down I just always knew this is where I would be. Just like many other teachers, I have been influenced by some exceptional educators. However, three in particular have helped shape who I am today. The first was my Physical Education teacher in elementary school. Even as a soft-spoken person, he could captivate the attention of thirty rambunctious kids running aimlessly around a gymnasium. I couldn’t wait to be old enough to join his demonstration skipping team that raised awareness for the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Looking back I can recognize his dedication and commitment to inspire students to get involved in their school lives. The next teacher to influence me was my homeroom teacher in Grade 7. Not only did he teach me the fundamentals, he created an exciting, inclusive and comfortable learning environment. While these seem like typical indicators of a “successful” classroom, I can’t even begin to convey the importance and effect that this particular school year had upon me. It lit the flame for teaching I already had inside of me. Even though I knew I wanted to teach and hopefully inspire children the way I had been inspired, I wasn’t sure what direction I wanted to head in until Grade 11. Taking part in a peer tutor class with an inspiring advisor, I was able to discover my interest in Social Studies, specifically Geography. Never before had I felt so passionate about a school subject, I had finally found my niche! This particular advisor demonstrated how enthusiasm for subject matter could be passed along to students.

                As I have moved through Brock University in the Concurrent Education Program, I have been exposed to new strategies, assessment methods and innovative tools. However, this year is truly going to be my test. Bringing together everything that I have learned over the past four years may seem simple enough, but I was not even aware of what “innovative” meant until selecting the Technology Leadership Cohort. Who knew a BlackBerry could seem out of date? Knowing now that classrooms are changing, at an alarming speed I may add, I am exhilarated, anxious and determined to be a successful 21st century teacher. If you’re wondering what a 21st century teacher is, well I guess you will have to stay tuned along my journey to find out.  

5 comments:

  1. In every single example you gave about what qualities were important in the educators that influenced or shaped you - you talk about ENGAGEMENT. You stressed the importance of "captivating attention", of an exciting environment, notable dedication and commitment. You noticed the "passionate educator" - the one that EMPOWERED you in a specific area. Your first post was beautiful and passionate and SHOWED YOUR VOICE.
    I wonder, in this one post alone, can you see a common them that might even shape your own philosophy of education? In all those examples, what was the ONE thing that fueled your passion so much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great introduction!! Looking forward to following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great introduction! I can't wait to see how you define a "21st century teacher." I know that my definition has changed a lot over the years.

    Have a fantastic year!
    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  4. It truly is an exciting and fulfilling calling. If you keep your passion alive; your thirst for learning; your love of students as individuals, you will make a difference and be one of those teachers whose students keep in contact with throughout life. I wish you well.
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a great start to blogging your teacher journey...you seem well on your path to becoming one of those teachers that you felt inspired by...who knows, in 20 years you might have a student blogging about you!!!

    i look forward to reading more of your journey and thoughts on teaching.

    ReplyDelete